Sunday, July 03, 2005

My vacation in the Netherlands

I had a great time on my 3 day vacation this past week. My friend Adeleida and I went to Rotterdam and Breda. We spent Mon and Tues night in Rotterdam, Wed. night in Breda and came home to Amsterdam on Thurs. I was totally emersed in dutch culture for 3 days and I learned a lot. We stayed with her family in each city and I met all of her 5 sisters and their families and her parents. I struggled trying to speak dutch to the adults, but the babies and I just made noises to each other to communicate so that worked out well.
On the far left are Adeleida, Adeleida's niece Laura, and me. This picture was taken after we gave two performances: Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella. I played the prince in both performances. We had an audience of 3 people and the shows were well received.




The next picture is of me trying to get Raoul to fall asleep. Adeleida and I babysat him on Wed night and had a great time with it.









The pictures below are taken on the streets of Breda. It was such a nice change to be in a quiet residential city instead of a busy crazy city. I feel so much more at home it a quiet natural setting. Cities ain't for this mountain momma.













This last picture is from Rotterdam. Rotterdam's city center was completely bombed out in WWII. The new architecture is great; all very modern and innovative. This picture shows a row of houses that are shaped like boxes standing on columns. People live in these things!









While I was on this trip I got to spend a lot of time with kids. I'm pretty sure I will work with kids after my time here in the shelter. I am much more gifted with kids than adults. I also have a more passionate heart towards kids.

By the way, I finally figured out how to post pictures!!! Yay!

2 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, it sounds like you had a great vacation! i'm so glad that you've been able to do some traveling over there. and, i was equally as excited to see the pics that you posted. yay!
talk to you soon
love
jess

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Nice pics! Crazy houses!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home