Food
So I thought a few of you might be interested in what I eat over here. Here are some foods I eat pretty much every day....
Fruit Salad:
Ingredients- any fruit, plain yogurt, and muesli
Instructions- cut up an apple, orange, and any other piece of fruit lying around. Mix in yogurt and muesli and eat. Mmm. I eat this at least once a day.
Open faced sandwiches:
Dutch people don't usually eat sandwiches like us. They eat everything open faced. I really like the idea. My favorite open faced sandwiches are: bread with butter, strawberry jam, and cheese (very dutch); bread with butter and hagelslag (hagelslag is what we know as chocolate sprinkles, but instead of tasting like plastic like ours do in the US, they taste like milk chocolate); and my favorite desert sandwich is bread, peanut butter, nutella, and hagelslag. Lekker! (Yummie)
Pancakes:
Dutchies don't eat maple syrup!! This I'm sure is more shocking to Canadians than to Americans but I still find it shocking. Instead, dutchies eat jam, or peanut butter, or nutella, or actually anything on their pancakes. It's all very good, but I am still tempted to buy a bottle of maple syrup at an import store.
The dutch have great dairy foods but their coffee leaves much to be desired. Food is simple here.


5 Comments:
I have Grammy and Pappy Potter here this morning and I was showing them your blog. Uncle George said they came to Fairmont to get their own "buffer zone" from your dad! We all know that I am the favorite daughter! Anyway, we all LOVE you very much and MISS you very much. I'm glad that your tone in your blog has lightened up a bit. Grammy said that Amsterdam is a "wide open city". Even on your darkest days, look for the good in people....there is ALWAYS good to be found; sometimes you just have to REALLY LOOK FOR IT! I am convinced that you are exactly where God wants you to be and needs you to be and that you will (probably already have!) make a difference. You can't change a sinful city by yourself, but you can change people, one soul at a time! Be as patient with others as God is with US, myself included. I realize this is your blog, but I am particularly amused by your two "seesters" and their comments. They will certainly keep you informed and laughing. Have a great day and be safe! We love you!
Grammy, Pappy, Aunt Lynn, Uncle George, Michael, and Sporty
I hear that Nutella is really amazing stuff. Sarah raved about it when she got home from Italy. Unfortunately, it is not allowed to be sold in America...it contains a government- forbidden ingredient or something. Along with regulating the amount of water that can be in our toilet, the government also finds it necessary to tell us what we can eat (thought I'd slip a little Dad mentality in here for your enjoyment). Maybe they are concerned that Americans could not control their intake of the yummy conconction, and it would escalate the obesity problem in America. You should consider leaving some of your belongings in Amstersam to smuggle some Nutella over the border. If you bring enough home, you may even be able to open a covert business operation and make a living that way. On second though, I don't believe that approach would be entirely legal. Maybe you could just bring me some back to try.
Love,
Michelle
No Nutella in the U. S.? I always thought that I had never seen it there, though I've been told you can get it, it's just not as popular.
And the Dutch do eat syrup on pancakes -- only they call it "stroop". But yeah, it ain't Maple Syrup.
See you in June, sister.
Kroger sells nutella. Great with peanut butter on whole wheat!!
You mention a lot about food but nothing about beverages. I hope you have found someone to hide your favorite Nalgene bottle away from you while you are away from Nic Culp. I hope you are having fun. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Princess
Post a Comment
<< Home