Saturday, April 02, 2005

Day 2

My body is confused. It is 1am and I have to wake up at 7am but I am not tired at all. I guess this is jet lag.

Today was great. I felt like Martha Stewart. My job today was cooking a meal for 25 people. I am not a cook, and I have never cooked for a large group, so I learned a lot. Another girl was working with me, and she is a really good cook so I just followed her lead. We made fish pie (which is much better than it sounds) and peas. It's cool because I have been interested in learning how to cook for the last few months, and now I get to learn. The kitchen has two enormous windows that we had open and the sun was shining through all day, it was awesome.

I explored my neighborhood a little bit today. It's lovely. Canals and beautiful architecture everywhere with cobble stone streets and draw bridges. I feel like I am living in a fantasy I've created in my head. But it's reality. Reality doesn't get better than this.

I live with people from the U.S., the Netherlands, Germany, Canada, France, and Poland. We speak English at the hostel and at our house. I am really eager to learn Dutch. I went to the grocery store today and I couldn't really tell what If I was buying shampoo or body wash. It was labeled "douche."

I haven't picked up my bike yet, so I've been riding on the back of my friend's. It's pretty terrifying. She starts peddling, and I run along side her and then I hop up on to the little rack above the back wheel. Tomorrow I'm going to try a different technique. Instead of jumping on and riding the rack side saddle, I'm going to try to jump up and land in a strattle. I'll let you know how it goes.

I get to go to church tomorrow at the Zolder 50 which is the church I served on a mission trip a year and a half ago. I am really looking forward to seeing all the church planters and hearing what has been going on with the church in the last year and a half.

I'll be in touch. I am not changing my e-mail address after all, so you can e-mail me at my aol account.

4 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa! The house is much quieter without you...and seriously lacking an adequate buffer!!!!!! This could be a long year, but I know you have good intentions so I won't be holding this against you. Secondly, in response to Jessica's post, I was not aware that this was a competition. Obviously I was merely attempting to give you your space after being stuck with we three Potters' for quite some time. We miss you a lot, and I'm sooo glad that you're having fun. I hope that continues.
Don't worry, I have fulfilled my duty to sing "The Doobie Dailer Dog" song to Schoobie. Mom wanted to have Schoobes say good- bye with a paw print, but I kindly reminded her that we would not be able to do that seeing as there is not a keyboard key which she could find to allow her to insert his paw print at the bottom of this post. As you can see, all is well and as normal as it gets here at the old homeplace.
Love,
Michelle (Your youngest, prodigious, and favoritest sister...although I posted second, there is an obvious difference in the quality of these posts.)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Marco said...

Ha, Melissa, it's cool to hear our world described in a first-impressions account. Of course, the turnover rate being what it is, that's not so rare here either.

Just a quick note to let you know there's a whole network of blogs. Here's the index:
http://amsterdamshelters.blogspot.com

Tell your friends. They can not only look into your blog, but also into the blogs of your co-workers and co-residents (and see what kind of people you're living and working with out here).

Marco

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa Potter!
I am so excited to hear how you are settling in. I am definitely going to be keeping updated with this blog. I am praying for challenges and blessing from God for you. I know this whole next year is going to be super amazing! Be careful on that bike! When you get yours, keep it away from the trams:)

love ya!
Tara G.
Romans 12:2

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Jessica and Michelle you are the best seesters ever! Thanks for your comments. I got a really good laugh. Michelle make sure you are doubling up the time you spend with Schubert to make up for the gaping hole in his life where I used to be.

Tara, it was so good to hear from you. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I hope all is well in Parkersburg. I saw Sam at de Zolder on Sun. and the rest of the crew will be there next Sun. They are all in eastern europe now. Take Care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home