This and That
I've been noticing that I use different words than I used to use back in the states. For example, instead of saying "excuse me" I now say "pardon." Pardon is much more international than excuse me. I've also adopted the short "ye" instead of the longer "yeah." Instead of saying I'm going to go to the "restroom" or "bathroom" I now say "toilet" which is also more understandable internationally.
This one time, one of our guests/cleaner at the City, Ivan had really wet hair and I asked him if he had been out in the rain. In broken engilsh he told me, "no, I washed in the toilet." If you are american, you can see my confusion. After a few seconds I figured out that he meant he washed his hair in the sink in the bathroom.
It's funny how americans say bathroom or restroom. We are so vague about doing our business. It is also funny to me how europeans will say so and so is ON the toilet. Too much information because then you get a picture in your head of so and so on the toilet.
I prefer the toilets in the netherlands to the ones in the states. Each toilet is in a completely enclosed room-so much privacy. In the states people can see you in between the cracks in the doors, and 3 year olds peep their entire faces into your stall from the 12 inch gap in the bottom. You don't deal with such uncomfortable awkward occurences here in the Netherlands.
My mom is coming to visit me for 9 days in Sept! Wahoo! She is going to stay at my house with me for 4 days, then we're going to Paris for 3 days, and we'll spend the final day and a half in Amsterdam. I found us night bus tickets to Paris for 35 euro a piece! I'm getting really excited.
I'm going through a lot right now so if you could pray for me that would be great. My sleep schedule is completely screwed up, and I feel spiritually attacked. I honestly don't remember the last time I felt "spiritually attacked" but I have really been sensing it the last few days.
I went to the Zolder tonight for the first time in a while and it was life changing-really. The Holy Spirit ministered to me in major ways. I am so hungry and thirsty for God. I am so unsatisfied with my knowledge of Him. I pray that he will fill my cup. Love you all!


3 Comments:
Hallo!
I thanks for your awesome language lesson. When i was in Disney with my parents I pushed my mom through the crowds in a wheelchair, and I found myself saying Pardon a lot. (Lots of international people at disney!) Many of the americans probably thought I was an international too.
Americans are pretty secretive about bodily functions. It's kind of weird because people typically get really quiet when they are going to the bathroom. It's like they really need to concentrate. Every once in a while I will awkwardly enter into one of these toilet conversations. With time they get less awkward--but it is really funny when you know another person is uncomfortable with potty talk!!! hahaha!
Hey Melissa, try out this link:
http://marcoklaue.blogspot.com/2005/01/marco-indulges-in-some-bathroom-banter.html#comments
It's awkward, I know. But it contains some talk about bathrooms, toilets, restrooms, etc.
When I was in Quebec I slowly caught on that they had no idea what I meant by "restroom".. I would then say "bathroom" and that didn't work, then when I said "toilet" they finally got it.
Post a Comment
<< Home