Friday, March 18, 2005

Why Amsterdam?

The scoop:

The Shelter Youth Ministry is a part of 'Tot Heil des Volks,' which means 'Association for the Salvation of the People.' Since 1855 the Association has performed social help and evangelism in Amsterdam. The current other activities of the Association are:

* EHAH, a counselling service for people struggling with their sexual identity

* het Scharlaken Koord (Scarlet Cord), reaching out with practical help and the gospel to prostitutes

* 'De Oogst' (The Harvest), a free, monthly magazine focussed on strengthening and deepening the spiritual lives of believers from all denominations

* Onderweg, an evangelism ministry to the gay scene in Amsterdam

I will be volunteering at the Shelter Jordaan youth hostel. My duties will include the following: working at the reception desk and cafe, overseeing the cleaning staff, leading Bible studies, and having conversations/sharing the gospel with guests. Each guest recieves a biblical tract in their native language and is invited to the Bible study that night.

Every work shift starts off with 15 min of prayer (how awesome is that!) When I arrive in Amsterdam I will be assigned to a small group, a mentor, and I will be responsible for finding a prayer partner. I also get to go to 6 hrs of classes every week on subjects like apologetics, and evangelism.

I'll be living with my coworkers in a dorm-style house. Think Christian Real World. I'll have a few roommates and a "mom and dad." There will be 30-40 people living in the house at any given time.

Now you know what I'll be doing over there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home